Dungeon: The writer's tomb. (-Special plot dungeon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
This is not one of the standard dungeons in the world, it is always here and never disappears. It also, does not count towards the eight minimal dungeons in the world. (Plot: The pen is mightier then the sword.)

In the Belesara lake, on the island is a cave that only opens when the writer wills the cave to open. It is completely inaccessible when the cave is not opened, not even magic can locate or get inside it when the writer does not want them to. As soon as the book in the middle of the cave is touched, the story begins... And they are dropped into the dungeon.

Nearby places
Belesara Lake.

--

--

Dungeon Information

Dungeon difficulty/team size. (Difficulty for fully armed/supplied people)
One person: Challenging
Two people:  Moderate (Recommended)
Three people: Slightly challenging
Four+ People: Easy

-- Monster difficulty: Cannonfodder to Slightly Challenging. Boss: Challenging--
Monsters in dungeon, monsters in this dungeon attack in swarms.
Giant bat
Goblin
Wolf
Alphyn
Slime
Small Minotaurs

Boss: The Writer


Formula for monsters spawning. (How the rolls are choosing what spawns)
Encounter balance: If the players find a monster in a room, it adds +1 to encounter balance. If they do not and they are not backtracking, it adds -1 to encounter balance.

//Enter room Roll 1d10
if (d<6 + encounter balance && not backtracking) monsters = true.
if (backtracking && d<2 + encounter balance) monsters = true.
  Else monsters = false.

If (Monsters = true){

Roll 1d? (? = number of possible monsters)

1)  Giant Bat (difficulty 0)

2)  Giant Bat (difficulty 0)
3)  Goblin (difficulty 1)
4)  Wolf (difficulty 1)

5)  Giant Bat (difficulty 0)
6)  Goblin (difficulty 1)
7)  Wolf (difficulty 1)
8)  Alphyn (difficulty 2)
9)  Slime (difficulty 2)
10) Small Minotaur (difficulty 2)
}

//Roll for multiple -> 1d10
if (d<8 - difficulty) multiple = true  Monsters +1

//Roll for Same type -> 1d10
If (multiple = true) {

if (d<7) same type = true
Else roll 1d? for new monster
}

//Repeat Roll for multiple until false.
if d<(8- (difficulty + number of rolls) (3 minimum)) {
Multiple = true. Monsters +1

  If same type = false, roll for type.
  Else repeat roll for multiple until false.
}

--- Loot ---
Small chests throughout the dungeon with low-tier rewards. Such as gold, jewels, various potions, scrolls, rarely very lightly enchanted jewelry and items.

Weapons held by goblins and minotaurs.

Shrinkage Bag - A backpack-like bag that shrinks everything placed inside of it to half the size it originally was. Items are restored to normal size when taken out of the bag. The weight of the items is not changed.

Harp of soothing - A big harp, 5'5" tall, that can shrink to miniature size to fit in someone's pocket. When at full size and played the music relaxes and slightly heals everyone who hears it. Friend or foe. (Stamina regenerates 10% faster. Small wounds (light cuts or less) heal within an hour or two.)
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
"Well, the man did say he dropped it in a dungeon." Elladine pointed out as she walked down the stairs towards the blue light of the dungeon. The dungeon below looked exactly like anyone would expect a dungeon to look like. Stone tile floors and walls, big open rooms with narrow winding passageways. When they reached the bottom of the stairs they would find that the source of the blue lights was actually some really pretty blue crystals. The crystals looked almost like they had grown onto the walls like moss, only they where actual crystals and not plants. And they let off a bright blue glow, not bright enough to hurt one's eyes, but bright enough to light the way clearly.

Kaolin put out the torch and put it away as it was no longer needed and he didn't want to waste it. He seemed drawn to the strange mossy crystals, walking over to one of the walls and touching the crystals.

Elladine laughed. "That's Lyn, always distracted by the shiny things." She laughed lightly. There was two paths, one narrow hallway to the right, and a bigger, more open room infront of them. "Which way should we go? I vote forwards." She said.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"Wow, this is straight out of an rpg. I like it, it feels so homey you know." He ignored the crystals opting to be on the look out for some unseen danger. "Let's not touch anything though, lord knows what happens if you touch one." He had spoken to late to stop Kaolin ,but seeing as he didn't explode he let it slide.

"Well, they are pretty so a lot of people would be distracted by them. I'll follow you forward hon. Let's just keep an eye on the book to make sure there isn't a trap or ambush waiting for us."
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
"Yeah, its pretty neat. Almost makes ya forget how much danger we're all really in." Elladine said, then laughed lightly when Jericho mentioned not touching anything and she noticed kaolin already touching the gems on the walls. "Kaolin is distracted by anything that's shiny like that. Its like he's drawn to gems and such." She said in a teasing tone, but what she said was partially true.

Kaolin was taking the butt of his knife and hitting the crystal a few times, trying to break some of it off for himself to take. But it was no use and he quickly gave up, following the other two into the big open room. "I'm keeping an eye on the book." He said.

Although as they walked into the big room they could see pillars on either side of the main walkway, there seemed to be another door at the far end of the room with what looked like a spiral staircase. But, between them and the staircase was a Small Minotaur wielding a war axe. Around his neck was a necklace with a silver key in place of the pendent. Surely that key went to something important. The minotaur saw them and walked in between the trio and the door on the other side. Banging the hilt of its axe into the ground and giving them a grunt as if to say he wasn't going to let them pass.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"Try to reign that urge buddy. You never know when something shiny is going to be trapped. I'd rather not have to scrap you off the wall." He was serious about that. He didn't want to lose someone to simple greediness. Satisfied with his answer he examined their surroundings taking in all the scenery. And the small minotaur that barred their path. "Wow, a minotaur. I'm not surprised for some reason."

He pulled back his bow and took aim with a sleep arrow, but waited on the other two to suggest something. "So should I just start shooting or do ya'll want to go around."
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
"Don't worry, if anyone sets off a trap it'd be best if I did. I have the best chance of evading it." Kaolin pointed out. He was careful for traps anyways, well, when it looked like a trap may be rigged there. In the case of the moss-crystals the stuff was everywhere so Kaolin assumed it wasn't rigged. He wished he had a pickaxe though, he wanted to get some of that stuff for himself.

The two siblings looked up at the minotaur with wide eyes, before Elladine spoke up. "It doesn't look like it'll let us pass. If we want to get by we'll have to fight." She said. "I'll tank it, you two take it down while its focused on me." She said.

"Be careful." Kaolin said. "I have no doubts that that thing is much stronger then you. Its a ten foot tall hulking mass of muscle after all." He stated.

"I know, I should be okay though." Elladine answered. She attached her mace to her belt so she could hold her shield with both arms, clearly preparing to focus on defense rather then attacking. "You guys got my back?" She asked.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"Yea well not everyone can be a parkour monkey kiddo." He nodded behind Elladine and took aim at the massive creatures chest. "If there is no other way, but forward then we have to go through him." He let loose the sleep arrow hoping to knock it out so they could finish it off while it was out, but the beast might be simply to tough for that.
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
The minotaur was ten feet tall and rather big from being muscular. But he wasn't too much bigger then a human, and it was the size of the creature that would mainly effect how well the gas worked on them. The minotaur tried to move away from the arrow, but the beast wasn't overly fast and was shot in the shoulder by the arrow. The arrow didn't pierce the minotaur as deeply as one would hope, the minotaur had thick skin that absorbed most of the damage, pretty much like a built-in leather armor. He was wounded by the shot, but not too badly wounded.

The sleeping gas did start to seep out of the arrow. The minotaur noticed it and couldn't help but to breathe a little in before he was able to pull the arrow out of his shoulder and throw it aside and charge at the trio. It had inhaled enough of the gas to become drowsy, but not enough to fall asleep before moving.

It was quite scary, seeing a beast almost twice her size charging straight after her. Its one thing doing it in a game, but in reality it was a terrifying sight. But Elladine was tough, she took a deep breath and did what she does best. The large beast was charging straight for them with its axe at the ready, so Elladine toughed out the initial fear and charged right back at it with her shield at the ready. Kaolin followed her lead and ran alongside her, but several feet off to the side so he'd be far out of the way.

Elladine and the minotaur clashed, the minotaur slammed its axe down at her and she quickly raised her big shield to block it. The loud pang of metal hitting metal was a clear sign that the shield held up to the blow, Elladine was thankful she had dumped all her money into one strong shield. Although the minotaur was very strong and hit very hard, the force from the hit slammed Elladine to the hard stone ground on her back, and the following grunt of pain from Elladine made it clear that it hurt. But she toughed out the pain and stood back up almost instantly, keeping her shield at the ready and bracing herself.

Kaolin cringed a little when he saw Elladine hit the ground, but was quickly making his way around behind the minotaur. He hoped the minotaur's body was similar to a humans, since it was sortof human-shaped.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"Holy shit he's a big rack of beef!" He didn't expect the big monster to move that quickly with an arrow in him, but there it was bearing down on the fragile seeming Elladine. His girl was a bit too reckless sometimes, but he was able to get a clear shot at it as it bore down on her. Flinching out the loud clang, he focused at the beasts throat. It wouldn't be too hard since he was five feet taller that Elladine. This time he fired a normal arrow instead of a sleep, since the last one didn't seem to be affecting it right now.
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
"Well he is a giant muscular cow, whatdaya expect?" Elladine called out in as calm of a tone as she could, trying to keep being playful even in such a dangerous situation in hopes to lighten the mood a little.

The minotaur was drowsy, so its reflexes were a little slowed. Its focus was on Elladine at the moment, she didn't have much time after she got up before it brought it's axe down for a sweeping blow. It didn't hit as hard as the first slam, but when Elladine blocked it the force was enough to make her stumble backwards a few steps. The minotaur swung its entire body with each attack though, packing more power into the blows and making precise targeting on it harder. When the minotaur turned its body during the swing the arrow aimed for its throat hit the side of its neck instead, the minotaur had been too drowsy to evade it. It didn't hit the intended target but it was still a critical wound that caused the beast to stumble backwards and grasp its throat, roaring loudly in pain. The blow to the neck was paralyzing some of the minotaur's body, making movement very difficult.

Meanwhile, Kaolin managed to get behind it and ran in, taking advantage of the fact that Jericho had stunned the minotaur. He knew his small dagger would have trouble doing much damage through the minotaur's thick skin, especially with the little strength he could put into his attacks. So he aimed for an area where there was little skin protecting the muscles. Kaolin attacked from behind and threw his entire bodyweight into stabbing the dagger into the back of the minotaur's kneecap, then yanked it to the side to try and cut through the muscles there and hopefully paralyze the leg. Which it did, the stabwound caused the minotaur to shout in pain and fell when it tried stepping on that leg.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"Mmm burgers after this then?" He was trying to find another good shot, but the beast was swing a bit to much for him to get another critical shot off like that. Especially when it fell down after Kaolin stabbed the hell out of it's knee. "Nice move Kaolin, Elladine I can't get a shot off, bash its face in!" He kept the look out for other monsters just in case something tried to aide the injured beast.
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
Kaolin stumbled back a little once he withdrew his knife, he was panting lightly. It had taken a lot of effort out of him to muster that much power behind the stab. He needed a running start and he needed to throw his entire body weight into it to stab as hard as a normal person could, due to his frail body. It was not something he could do frequently. He nodded when Jericho said he did a good job, taking the moment to catch his breath as he backed away and waited for another chance to strike. He was glad Elladine had been there to tank the beast, it would've been hard fighting it without her there to absorb the blows. But he had to protest Jericho's instructions. "Bulls have incredibly hard skulls from ramming things a lot, aim for the throat not the head. Much weaker target" He said.

Elladine was also panting lightly but grabbed her mace and quickly moved in on the beast while it was down. It was struggling and thrashing to move from its paralyzed leg and the arrow in its neck. She quickly grabbed her mace and did as Kaolin instructed, grabbing its jaw with one hand to hold it still and slamming her mace down on its throat. The blow crushed the minotaur's throat, even if the beast was big and strong the throat could only take so much damage before collapsing. And the minotaur would die within a few moments.

Elladine stepped back though with a worried look on her face, she knew she killed it, and knew it was about to die. It just wasn't setting well with her, killing another living thing. It didn't help that the way it was done wasn't exactly quick either, but she knew it was something she'd have to get used to.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"She could still hit it in the face. I'm sure that would at least knock it out, but whatever." He stared sadly as Elladine finished off the creature. It was a bit brutal and despite her attitude at times she was really a gentle soul. He came up behind her and patted her shoulder. "Hey, he would've killed us all if given the chance. Don't think too much on it or you'll drive yourself insane."
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
"I dunno, didn't want to take the risk of it not working." Kaolin said softly. When the beast finally died he cringed a little and grimaced as he moved closer and took off the key necklace the minotaur had been wearing. He held it up and tried to flick off the blood from it. "Well, we have a key." He said unsurely. "No idea what it goes to, but its a key."

Elladine smiled as he pat her shoulder and nodded a little. "Yeah... I know. But there's a big difference between talking about killing something, and actually doing it. Its just something we all need time to get used to." She said quietly. She looked up at the room the minotaur had been blocking off. There was a spiral staircase in it that went both up and down. "So, we found the stairs, do we go up or down?" She asked.

"Well, the exit is no doubt up. But, we're in this dungeon now, if we go up we may miss out on whatever else is in here. And judging by the way we got in, I don't think we can come back later. Plus, we all have that hunch that this man we're working for is pulling something and may not pay us, so our payment is whatever's inside this dungeon. We have the choice of just running out of here, or looking around and taking what we can before leaving." Kaolin explained their general situation. Looking up at the other two for them to decide.

"Eh, my vote goes to searching the rest of this place. You're right, we may not get paid if this ends up being a trick. But we can just take what we find here as payment." Elladine said. "Or, if we do get paid. We'll get even more with this stuff."
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"It probably goes to a chest or door somewhere deeper inside." He squeezed her shoulder and nodded. "If you ever need me to handle it just let me know." The thought of going deeper into danger wasn't that appealing, but they did need the loot just in-case something went wrong. "I'm outvoted anyways so let's check it out. Who knows, maybe there might be a clue on where the game creator is hiding the exit or something. If things get to hairy let's bail though, deal?"
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
"Yeah, that's what I'd assume." Kaolin answered, then he shook his head. "You're never outvoted, your vote weighs just as much as ours, and I never said which way I wanted to go." He said simply. He doubted they'd find an exit so easily, or anything about the game's creator. But he shook it off and walked towards the stairs. "I agree though, if things look bad we bail. No sense dying down here."

Elladine found his gesture quite comforting, and once Kaolin turned his back she leaned against him for a moment. "I'll be alright, but thank you I will keep that in mind." She said softly. But despite her words, she would more then likely take the burden of killing things on her own shoulders whenever given the chance. She wanted to protect the others from that burden as much as she could. "Lets go, so we can get out of here quickly." She said before turning and quickly taking the lead again, leading the way down the stairs.

(Hmm, finally get to test out the dice dungeon system to see if it works ^.^ They'll be the guinna pigs, I'm tweaking the dungeon settings as they progress to get it right.)

After going down one floor the stairs did not go down any further. There was one doorway into the next room, in the next room was a monster they were already familiar with. Three goblins armed with wooden clubs.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
He waved off Kaolin's concern about his vote. "No worries, we'll just plow though here and get some loot and zip out. Hopefully. I'd rather not run into a herd of those minotaurs." He patted Elladine again, and drew out another arrow ready to shoot whatever popped out at them next. Upon seeing the goblins he smiled. It wasn;t really fair. They had taken these things on before they had good gear. Now it was going to be a bllodbath. Hopefully in their favor. He let loose the arrow at the nearest one, hoping to get a quick kill.
 

Viante

Patron
Patron
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
New England (USA)
Elladine nodded in agreement with Jericho "Yeah, a herd of minotaurs would be insane. But otherwise we should be fine to just plow through here." She said. Feeling a little pumped after defeating the first minotaur. Even if it was causing a little emotional distress.

Kaolin was relieved to see goblins in the next room, but he remained cautious. They had defeated goblins easily before, but that was mostly thanks to pre-made traps and using chaos to their advantage. Here, they would have to go toe-to-toe with them. Thankfully the goblins hadn't noticed the group yet, so Jericho's first shot hit the goblin he was aiming for in the torso. It hadn't dodged so the shot was on-target and hit the goblin in the heart, killing it. The other two spun around and growled when it saw the three humans, shouting things in the goblin language before running at the group.

Elladine took her shield in one hand and the mace in the other and charged back at the goblins, aiming to intercept them halfway so Jericho could keep his distance. Kaolin ran right behind her, ready to cover her flanks if needed. Which it was, as she approached the two goblins they split up, one moved to her left and one to the right in an attempt to get around her shield. She could only block one direction at a time. Elladine turned to the left to bash away that goblin with her shield, trusting Kaolin to get the other. The goblin blocked her shield bash with its club, but was still sent stumbling back.

The other goblin raised its club to strike Elladine in the back, but Kaolin threw his dagger at it to force the goblin to jump back. It evaded the dagger, but since it had to jump back it couldn't reach Elladine. The move left Kaolin unarmed, but he moved between the goblin and his sister anyways. Planning to hold the goblin in check until someone else could get it.
 

Test

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
"One down two to go!" As the siblings dashed foreward to engage he tried to decide which of the Goblins to shoot at next. The choice was made easy for two reasons. One, Elladine had knocked her opponent back fairly easily, and two Kaolin had just thrown his weapon away. He took aim at the goblin as it jumped back to avoid Kaolin's dagger and let loose the arrow. He was aiming for its side since that was an easier target than something small like its throat or head.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom