The Stormhorns Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punishment

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Aprillia, Italy.
Aralynn frowns as she looks down to the goblins below, backtracking slightly to find the others before motioning to where she was. "Found something...nature does often provide, if you merely accept it's guidance." She'd say to the nearest person, peering down below at the massed goblins gearing up for some kind of assault. "We should tred caution..." She'd say, as if stating the obvious.
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
Upon reaching the crest and seeing what Aralynn had found, Farah immediately slipped out of her cloak and pack, grabbing the strap of her shield with her right hand to stop it from falling with the rest of her gear, and then grabbing the handle of it with her left hand as soon as her pack was off. "Nature? Or someone in that group sent the Tressym to call for help", she replied to the druid.

Farah glanced over her shoulder to see who else was nearby to hear her. "We should pick one of those groups and focus on it", she suggested, already thinking about how to engage the goblins without getting overwhelmed by their numbers. It didn't look good, though. Unless there were at least a dozen fighting men in that wagon group who could back them up, fighting this many goblins at once might be an impossible task.
 

Hotshot007

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2019
Arriving with the others he took Farahs movements as indication himself he began to make the motions of taking off his own cloak and pack. Wrapping them within one another to keep the contents dry as he now stood in his full armor and equipment looking like a veritable walking armory with his axes, daggers, crossbow, and of course great-sword all strapped down with accompanying leather over-top the chain mail and common set of clothing.

Rolling his shoulders and listening to Farahs words he scanned, he counted a total of 24 goblins. Speaking his mind candidly. "Sounds like a good plan, but funny thing about goblins they like sticking together as groups when they fight cause by themselves there squishier then all hell. We go group by group as a unit hit em fast and hard we could mop them up no problem if we're smart about it."

His words rang with an essence of experience having fought plenty enough goblins themselves in his own right. "I know odds seem slim but trust me. They won't break apart into smaller groups when we get in there but it's not my call to make, whatever happens we should do it fast or those men in there are bound to die."
 

CaelumEtTerra

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
Clara listed to both Farah and Baelor, trusting their fighting experience more than her own. Despite this, she decided to add her own thoughts. "I think we need to deal with the wolf mounted ones first. They have speed on their side that the others don't. I can hammer them from a distance, but I don't have anything to deal with a group all at once and even my furthest spell is too short to hit them from here."

As she said this, the other thing she had to worry about came to mind. "I have some ranged healing but you need to be within 60ft or so for it to work. I also have one big blast of magic I can use to either heal someone a lot or hurt one person a lot more. I'll play it by ear for which is needed more." Clara added, feeling it was better to explain her limits then wait for a bad time.
 

DeusUmbra

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2019
Location
USA
Adrian sat and listened to the ideas, watching the goblins below, he didn't know a whole lot about goblins, or fighting in general really, but he figured that with this group they could deal with them pretty easy, especially if there was some kinda backup in those caravans. "Well, we could always go with a little shock and awe, go in hard, crush a group or two and scare the rest into running off, or at least giving an opening for those wagons to escape. Besides, aren't Goblins supposed to be like cowards or something? Wilfire, you know about Goblins right? You must know something since you were talking to that one earlier, you probably have an idea or two right?" He wasn't sure if he was mixing up Kobolds and Goblins, or some other creature, but he could swear they didn't fight fair and scared easy, at least that's what he heard... maybe it was kobolds though... Eh, shock and awe always works! Except undead but who cares about them anyway.
 

Punishment

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Aprillia, Italy.
Aralynn frowns a bit. "I must admit...I only possess one spell that could inflict harm, if within range of sixty feet or less. I can try to trick them with illusions and nature itself to perhaps lure them off to a direction and shift their focus...such as the sound of an animal that is not there, or many small animals one after the other, making them believe a small pack could be near...but it would just be my magics. I need to be within thirty feet to do so...or I can cast my illusions, also within thirty feet to five, sounds and images to play with their senses and minds...hopefully lure them off. It may help to limit their numbers and do this...surprise maneuver."
 

Blaze

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
East Coast USA
"Well I might be able to send one of the groups to sleepy land." Wilfire added to the strategy meeting "We don't really have time for anything but a smash and grab though. Taking all your ideas into consideration I think our best choice would be to charge down the hill and take as many of the wolf riders as possible before joining up with the carts. We are each worth at least two goblins each, so as long as there are some fighters in the wagons we should be able to at least break the ring." He said, hiking his pipes up under his arm and pumping it full of air. "We change on your mark Farah."
 

Hotshot007

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2019
He listened to all the contributions and grit his teeth leaning down slightly and unsheathed his sword letting the custom slide style sheathe on his back and pull it up and out now holding it and readying himself for the charge down the hill. Course ask the Paladin for the mark to charge down and he grumbles a bit at that but doesn't add anything but decides to add one final comment before they head off.

"Should we try to stealth in as close as we can before initiating a battle or do we want to be idiots and charge down there letting them know we're here."
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
Farah's eyes were turned to the goblins below while she listened to what everyone was saying. Her face was pallid with apprehension, especially as Wilfire suggested she should be the one to give the signal to attack. It felt like responsibility for the life and death of everyone in the group had just been dumped on Farah's shoulders, and she was so not ready for that. This was going to be her very first battle, and she had severely hoped to have better numerical odds than this. Nevertheless, she knew what had to be done, and if it meant sacrificing her life here on this field for the chance to save some innocents, then Torm willed it so. That was the essence of yuusha!

Farah briefly felt like she was going to be sick, before she managed to steel herself and focus on the situation at hand. It was clear to her now why so many knights wore great helms instead of mail coifs; so the fear on their faces would not be visible to the enemy. Remembering her training, she struck all doubt from her mind and morphed her face into a proper war-scowl.

"Let's get as close as we can", she said, in response to Baelor's suggestion, drawing the sword from her hip as she spoke, "Let's try to get within a stone's throw, but if they see us first, we'll charge" That meant sixty feet. It all depended on whether there was enough cover to conceal their approach. They might be forced to engage from a much farther distance if the path to the enemy was all in the open, or if they were noticed. Farah would be watching them, and if any of those riders turned his head and looked back, she'd call the charge right then and there.

As Farah spoke and visualized the plan of attack in her mind she started to sound more and more confident, falling into something of a groove in her demeanor. Glancing back, she said, "When it's time, just attack, forget distractions", referring to Aralynn's idea, "Make as much noise as you can and hit them with everything all at once. Keep to the high ground and don't let them surround you". Ideally, all these ranged attacks would be timed to take place in a single volley while Baelor and Farah were in the process of charging, and would reach their targets just a split second before the melee began. She looked over at the crossbow hanging from Baelor's back. "Are you gonna open with that crossbow?", she asked him. It made sense to squeeze of an opening shot before charging in, in which case Farah would want to use that shot as her cue to rush forward. Then again, she didn't know if the rule system would allow him to do that without delaying his charge attack.

There was also one member of the party who had not yet weighed in, so Farah waited for Lia to say something before leading the party forward.
 

CaelumEtTerra

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
With the discussion apparently complete, Clara began sneaking forward toward the closest goblin group. She didn’t want to get too close - in the thick of it was not where she did her best work anymore - so she instead snuck down the ridge itself where the goblins and wolves would have less sure of a footing. She only tried to get a little closer, perhaps ten to fifteen meters so; just enough to be able to pepper the goblins with her magic as needed. (Stealth 15 and Athletics for deliberately hilly terrain 16)

Perhaps because of her deliberately slow movements, the hill proved an insignificant challenge to her movements in spite of her... well her. Once she was in position she readied to blast the closest goblin that wasn’t named Wilfire.
 
Last edited:

DeusUmbra

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2019
Location
USA
Adrian tried to follow Clara's lead, though he knew he wasn't the sneakiest person around, granted all he needed to do was get close enough to fire off a few shots at those goblins and he'd have them running for sure! Plus, his team will back him up and be a good meat shield for him right? He decided not to take the harder route though, that definitely wasn't going to work out well for him, instead he opted to just be slow and quiet, hopefully, and ready a fire bolt to blast anything that gets too close if they notice him.
 

Hotshot007

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2019
Seeing as things were proceeding about as organized as he had expected he simply grimmaced at the fact they'd be going into this about as devil may care as they could. Farah at least understood the need for a solid enough strategy and he could piggyback off that. Trying to sneak in an attack before they even noticed would be useful but he seriously doubted that the group of goblins would be that incompetent. So Gritting his teeth preemptively as the "signal" was issued by Clara starting to make her way down he too began to try and make his way down as "Stealthily" as possible. Knowing how difficult that was going to be as he was a varitable bastion of weapons and armor making stealth somewhat asinine but it could be said that he did at least try his best. (11)

Holding his greatsword in one hand, he moved down as fast as he could as his free hand reached back, grabbing the wooden handle of the crossbow he had on him. Taking Farah's suggestion, even if he was planning to start with that anyways. He seemed dextrous enough, or perhaps just experienced enough to let his arm hold taught the crossbow as his hand grabbed a single bolt and slotted it into it's ready position.
 
Last edited:

Blaze

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
East Coast USA
"...Fuck!" Wilfire whispered as Adrian clamored down the hill. Setting his pipe to his lips he tried to follow the rest as they moved quietly down the hill, but ready to break into his song as soon as their approach was blown. Really all it took was one goblin glancing in their direction at this point. Something that Wilfire was sure would be happening at any moment.

If the goblins hadn't been attacking the wagons when the party approached he could have suggested they try to trick the goblins by pretending to be a traveling troupe or perhaps Wilfire's harem. "But alas such a path was now blocked...." He mumbled under his breath.

(Stealth: 16)
 

Andi

Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2019
Location
UK
In the valley below one of the wolf riding Goblins notices movement on the ridgeline occupied by your party. You see him gain the attention of the what appears to be the war party's chief and point up towards your position. The Goblin leader's gaze sweeps the area pausing to look directly at Adrian first then up towards the crest he had just descended from. He pauses for several seconds considering his options then a series of horn blasts can be heard from the group. As the eyes of the Goblin infantry turn to their leader he raises a spear and points to each group in turn making jabbing and circling motions and then pointing to the laagered wagons and your adventuring party.

The three Goblin groups furthest from you give a whoop and begin to run towards the wagons brandishing spears and swords. The closest group to you turns around and with a warcry rush towards Adrian's current position. Two of the wolf riders leave the pack and head towards the hill on your left flank.
 

Hotshot007

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2019
Well there went that fucking plan. Wasting absolutely no time on being stealthy anymore, Baelor shot up and took off like a rocket. Shooting right past Adrian with a “OUTTA THE WAY!”

In the course of six seconds he cleared about 60 feet of ground as he went in fully tilted to the left side of the goblin group rushing them. Weighing his course of action he saw the wolves coming in as well as the group right in front of him, being on the left flank he felt like a good target/buffer. Ready for the goblins to move in close to attack.

(Action: Dash)
 

CaelumEtTerra

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2019
Seeing the game was up, Clara popped up, crossed the last few feet she needed, and held her hand forward. With only a brief tinge of pain, she focused on the gift of her patron and pulled some magic from the aether. Quickly, a small ball of brilliant white energy pooled in her palm. Then, just as quickly as it formed, she launched it at the closest goblin.

(12 to hit for 3 Force damage)
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
Adrian wasn't the only one experiencing bad luck on the approach. For Farah's part, a sizeable rock came loose underfoot almost as soon as she began her descent, and it rolled and bounced loudly down the hill ahead of her, making her position quite obvious to the goblins below.

Sticking to the plan, Farah yelled out a war cry, "CHAAAARGE!", and rushed forward at the same time as Baelor, but on the right flank of goblin group 4, her shield held high in front of her with the top ridge just beneath her eyes so that she could see her target, and her sword trailing out to the side and slightly behind her. She would move forward as fast as she could, given the unevenness of the slope (Dash action).

Ideally, she and Baelor would crash into the group of goblins at roughly the same time. Farah was going to lead with her shield and try to catch one of the goblins on the chin with the bottom edge of it, then stab the fucker quickly in the chest or throat while he's off balance, and immediately pull back her stance to a defensive one to deal with the inevitable counterattacks by the others in the group, backpedaling and giving ground as necessary in order to avoid being surrounded, or advancing and hacking and slashing as necessary to keep the pressure on them and prevent Baelor from being surrounded.
 

Blaze

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
East Coast USA
"Fuckin Fuck Biscuts!" Wilfire swore as the other goblin's became aware of the party's presence. Putting his lips to his pipes, he began blowing hard on the instrument in a martial musical charge as he hopped from rock to rock and slid down the slope twenty feet behind Farah.

(Moving (Dash) 40 ft and using bonus action for Bardic inspiration on Farah, Clara, and Baelor. Add 1d6 to a single attack roll, saving throw, or ability check)
 

DeusUmbra

Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2019
Location
USA
Adrian rolled his eyes at Baelor when he ran past him, though he knew he couldn't see that. Whatever, these guys are panicking over nothing, they are adventurers dammit! We can handle anything! He kept moving forward down the hill, going at a normal pace, not bothering to rush, better to be safe at the back and careful down the hill over falling down the hill and being at the front of the battle. Either way he prepared a fire bolt for when one of the goblins came close enough, knowing they were probably out of his range, so he'd just keep it prepared and ready if they move too close for his taste.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom