What are you NOT listening to?

Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
Thought about this as I was driving around and listening to the radio. Most of it's okay - I'm not a pop person, but I like to be aware of what's going on - but there are certain things I have issues with.

Post the songs you don't like, skip, or change the channel about, and don't be shy about why.

1 - Anything with the "indie girl" style or "singing in cursive" style. I don't know what it's supposed to evoke and I don't connect to it at all. I dislike it more when the type of the voice is very nasal and breathy and when there are obvious breaths in the recording. They sound like congested and drugged to me, and it feels like it puts a lot of frequency in a place I don't find nice to listen to.

Maybe it's supposed to evoke being home from a bar with a girl who's still buzzed and hoarse from scream-singing all night and she's whisper-singing in bed, but I'm just like...damn, go the fuck to sleep.

Cwahlih ih mah shkiuh
'Eash wouhns ehh wihh nawh ehwuhl




2 - 5 people worked on "Lonely" by Justin Bieber: composed it, made sheet music, produced it, recorded it, edited it, and mastered it, and nobody stopped to think it might be too annoying.

Up on the hill was a lonely goatherd
WoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO


The song is quite serious, but that chorus destroys the mood/credibility.



3 - "7 Rings" by Ariana Grande is fine in terms of sound. It's produced fine. It's written fine. I just think it's glorifying toxic behavior. The argument could be made that she's buying stuff for people other than herself and the majority of the profit of the song goes to Rogers and Hammerstein, and I considered that it could be making fun of people who compulsively shop instead of dealing with their emotions, but at the end of the day it's about equating money and emotions.

Buying a bunch of luxury shit is excusable when you have a $150 million net worth, but as someone who comes from a home where there was no shortage of department store bags coming into the house but there were constant fights about money, and I was regularly in debt to the school cafeteria, this song and others with a similar theme leave a really bad taste in my mouth.


4 - Cardi B, in general. I gave Invasion of Privacy and Money an unbiased chance and just found that most of her songs are about herself, what she wants, what she has, and what other people can do for her without a hint of irony. They're not particularly well-produced or written, she's been riding on basically one album for basically 3 years, she admitted to drugging men and stealing their money, she's repetitive doesn't doesn't really make interesting rhymes, and she got into rap in the first place basically due to riding a man's coat tails. I like the beat from "Bartier Cardi", but the whole song is her talking about herself in the 3rd person.


5 - Anything from The Pretenders. There's something about vocal affectations and weird vocal patterns that rub me the wrong way. Chrissy Hein's voice grates on me so bad.


AYYYE GON MAKEYEW SEEEEEE
THAASNOBAH'YELSE HEEEH
NUH WON LUHMEEUH
AHHM SPESHAHL
SOOO SPESHAHL
AHGAH HAHH SUMYA HA'TENSUN
GIHH TEW MEEEYUH



6 - Early Dave Matthews Band, specifically do not like "What Would You Say"


He has a fairly annoying vocal affectation (he toned it down in later albums), but that's not the main problem. The core of the instrumentation isn't even the problem, but that era of DMB is...oddly pretentious. The video for that song is also extremely pretentious in a "lul I'm sooooo randum" way. What I also find pretentious is that it's recorded/mixed to sound as though it was recorded live in a large venue like a theater or outdoor amphitheater.

Trying to look past the fact it's not a style I relate to - and associate more with corporate-crunchy middle-aged Gen X-ers who wear Merrill sandals, drive Subarus with "COEXIST" stickers, and go on ski vacations in obscure luxury resorts in Colorado - I think the main problem is they didn't expand on the potential of their jazz licks. They would go with the repetitive riff-based style, and then insert multiple harmonica/sax/fiddle wank solos instead of spreading out the improv though out the song, which would be more interesting. At the same time, there are like 12 people in the band as of Under The Table and Dreaming so, of course, it's naturally easier to make the songs riff-based and then have sections where one person jams to a chord progression.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, this is somewhat unsubstantiated, but it seems like the popular songs by female artists and those by male artists have extremely different moods. It seems like the female songs are "empowerment" anthems or hypersexual and the male songs are lamenting selfish partners or expressing longing for a loyal partner; and like the female empowerment can't be done without the expense of someone else.

"Future Nostalgia" by Dua Lipa is number 3 on the pop chart. I'm a fan of her being Bosnian because Balkan people get confused for Latinos, but the whole "I know you ain't used to a female alpha" thing is overshadowed by the fact there are over 12 people who created the track and almost all of them are men. There are "female alphas" who write and produce their own music. Where are they in all this?

"positions" by Ariana Grande is written and produced by 7 people and 5 of them are men. I guess this song is, at least to me, about a girl acting perfect in the beginning stages of a relationship. It just seems sketchy to me because that seems like something a toxic person would do. If you're at the point where you're trying to meet a guy's family, there should be more honesty involved.

"Thot shit" is popular, albeit I haven't heard a lot of it on the radio, likely for content reasons. At the beginning of the video, I could kind of get the gender-reversed reprisal of the speech from Fight Club about people at the top disrespecting the people at the bottom who make society work. Sure, a lot of women do important jobs, but the song lost me when it went back to F/F relational aggression, infidelity, getting plastic surgery, and generally being a...thot. "We ain't even speakin' if a nigga ain't spendin" Yes, very "independent woman" of you, now please never claim to speak for me again. This song is toxic as fuck and Megan Thee Stallion still needed 2 men to create it.

The next common one I hear, and I don't think it's on a chart, is 24ktGoldn "Mood" and it seems to be about a guy who honestly sounds like he's in a relationship with a girl with a personality disorder. "Baby I am not your dad", "We play games of love to avoid the depression/We've been here before and I'm not your victim". Dude, leave.

"Without You" by The Kid Laroi is about a guy who, it seems like, put his trust in a girl and really based his emotions around her, but she turned out to be a serial cheater, and he said "So there you go/Can't make a wife out of a ho".

"Good 4 U" by Olivia Rodrigo issss...I just don't feel her character in this song is a reliable narrator. The guy went to therapy and is doing better as evidenced by his promotion and better finances, and she's crying on her bathroom floor and says "I wish I could do that". I sense toxic jealousy.

To be fair, for a bit of contrast because it likely seems I'm beating up on women, I have nothing at all bad to say about Doja Cat. She's the least problematic or toxic female rap/hip-hop artist. She doesn't glorify relational aggression, infidelity, abusing men, toxic relationships, etc. She has songs about sex work, but they seem to be very specific as to the context, such that they're not to be confused or conflated with straight work or commitment-based relationships. The songs where she's speaking to a man are very "Let's communicate" and I'm a fan. I'm in agreement with her type of body positivity that doesn't go toward any toxic extreme, and critiques getting surgery.
 
Last edited:

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
I haven't listened to the radio in years. Before the pandemic when I used to commute to work every day (I work remotely now) I would just play CDs. I have the radio tuned to a classic rock station that isn't too bad, but even then during rush hour there's more ads than music, and I would rather just drive in silence than have corporate messaging pumped into my brain while I'm stuck in traffic. But CDs are much better. On a typical commute I could listen to a full 45-minute album end to end, or if I know it's gonna take longer I stick in a compilation CD that uses all 76 minutes. Or, being stuck bumper-to-bumper, I always have the opportunity to swap CDs midway through the commute.

But to speak to the topic of this thread, in my younger days I used to listen to the radio, and I even used to listen to pop/rock stations. And on those stations they would have the song of the month that they put on heavy rotation to cram it down everyone's throats, hoping to take advantage of the mere exposure effect to boost sales. Sometimes the song being pushed got so annoying that I would turn the volume down to zero until it was finished playing. The first song I remember doing this for was by Kings of Leon. It's the one that starts off woah-aah-oh woah-aah-oh. Fuck that song. Really, fuck any song that has "woah" "ahh" or "ohh" as a lyric.

What else... This band MGMT used to piss me off with their synth bullshit. This was late 2000s era, at the height of hipsterdom, and when I heard some of these songs I immediately pictured a bunch of douchebags with dark-rimmed glasses standing around trying to look ironic and sophisticated at the same time. There was this one song, I forget the title or who sang it, but it started off with this glockenspiel melody that was very catchy and also immediately conjured up the pretentious hipster image when I heard it. I remember the song coming on at a bar or club or something, and some girl screams out, "Oh I love this song!", and I'm over here rolling my eyes thinking, "...of course you do..."

When I switched to classic rock stations, there were still some songs that bugged me. In Canada they have a rule where half the music played on the radio has to be from Canadian artists. Since Canada has one tenth the population of the USA, and therefore produces one tenth of the music, the result was a lot of repetition of the same familiar Canadian hits, to the point where I get sick of hearing them. The band I got sick of most, I think, was called Rush. I never really liked their music to begin with, and as they kept getting overplayed, I kept switching the station or killing the volume to not have to hear them.

Speaking of Justin Bieber, I think I last heard one of his songs maybe 5 years ago, playing in some fast food joint. It was the one where he tells the listener Go Fuck Yourself (for the radio audience it was Go Love Yourself). I remember thinking, "Okay, he doesn't sound like a little girl anymore, but.... yeah, he's still annoying. Fuck that guy"

Trying to think of where else I'd been forced to listen to crappy canned music... oh, right, at the office they used to have the radio on in the break room, and sometimes some girl would sing that she was all about that bass. That was super annoying. I was just like, "I don't care how many dicks you want to suck tonight, shut up". That's the last one I can pinpoint. That seems like an old song now. They must have lowered the volume in the years afterward and I didn't notice. I haven't even been to the office since March 2020, so it's just a blur for me.

Actually speaking of old songs, there was this one from way back where this lady was belting out about "all the single ladies". That one annoyed the shit out of me. It was just so loud and in your face, like an advertisement put to music. Just thinking about it I have to shake my head to get her foul vocal miasma off of me.

But yeah, all those other songs and bands you listed? I never even heard of them, so I guess I'm lucky. Well, I know Dave Matthews, but not that particular song (I only recall that one hit he had about space between). And I know Cardi B from the memes about her wet ass p-word, but I've never actually listened to that song, so I don't even know how it goes. I hope I never find out how it goes. The Pretenders as a band name sounds familiar... did they have a hit I would recognize? I can't remember.

My take on music is that somewhere in the 80s or 90s it stopped being about art, in terms of an artist expressing themselves through their music (soul in the game), and instead it became a business, where it's just about following a formula that's proven to make money. Another word for that is pablum: optimized for mass consumption. Listening to pop music today is the audio equivalent of living in the pod and eating bugs. It's the equivalent of watching the Disney Star Wars sequels. Yeah, once upon a time this thing by the same name used to be really cool and fun and interesting. But then corporations got their hooks into it, ran their optimization algorithms, and came up with a money making strategy that has no use for non-quantifiable concepts such as "soul". You'll still pay for it, if you're young and susceptible to peer pressure. And that's what matters most.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
> The first song I remember doing this for was by Kings of Leon. It's the one that starts off woah-aah-oh woah-aah-oh. Fuck that song. Really, fuck any song that has "woah" "ahh" or "ohh" as a lyric.



> What else... This band MGMT used to piss me off with their synth bullshit. This was late 2000s era, at the height of hipsterdom, and when I heard some of these songs I immediately pictured a bunch of douchebags with dark-rimmed glasses standing around trying to look ironic and sophisticated at the same time.

It was moustache wax, flannel shirt, beanie, raw denim, pretentious coffee and whiskey culture, craft beer, vegan, Clark's desert boots, beard oil, yeeyee-ass haircut, shirt with mustaches on it, idiotic lense-less glasses, superficial irony, Scott Pilgrim, calling bars "speakeasies", Coachella, old-school tattoo, "folk Americana", spirit hood, Jeffery Campbell Lita boot tomfoolery.

That whole time period can go directly into the dumpster.


> did they have a hit I would recognize? I can't remember

I think this is The Pretenders' "recognizable hit". It's less offensive than their other songs, but her vibrato still gives me brain damage. I didn't know the music video was her trying to waterboard Early-90s Grunge Jesus.



> My take on music is that somewhere in the 80s or 90s it stopped being about art, in terms of an artist expressing themselves through their music (soul in the game), and instead it became a business, where it's just about following a formula that's proven to make money.

It's always funny to see this play out in the rock and metal Grammies because there's more underground rock/metal of equivalent quality to big-label rock/metal than underground pop. I'd include rap and R&B in here too, because there's a lot of high-quality underground music from those genres as well. Do they nominate bad bands? No, but it doesn't reflect the largest possible pool of good bands. They're picking from things they've created and in that way, it's not meritocratic.

8817

Soundcloud rappers are pre-selected then astroturfed to make it seem like they randomly exploded with the masses through their own doing. Billie Eilish was born to parents who were already "in" the LA music industry.
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
Hm, no, I hadn't heard that Pretenders song before. Maybe I was actually thinking of the Proclaimers, with their 500 miles song. Either that, or it's because the Simpsons made a joke about the college dean having played bass for the Pretenders.

Oh, here's another song I don't listen to: Sweet Caroline. It's not a bad song, but when every live band playing at a bar has to close their last set with it, and then you get all these drunk idiots singing along to the "bap-bap-baa", it just makes me facepalm and want to leave the bar faster.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
> you get all these drunk idiots singing along to the "bap-bap-baa"

I don't understand this or where it came from, or why anyone at all started doing it. Society was better off without this phenomenon.

Apparently it's a "Things wypipo do" stereotype as well. It's goofy enough and I could see a bunch of college lads in bright color chino shorts, deck shoes, and 3/4-zip logo fleece from the school bookstore singing it and thinking they're the most hilarious people on the planet.


"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood is popular among drunk women. 21? 45? It doesn't matter. If you get a small town woman drunk on enough margaritas and sugary drinks with sexual names, it's not gonna be long til you hear her mumble through the song then suddenly bellow, "A TOOKA LOUGHIVUL SLUGGERTA BOAF HEYLIGHHHS!!! SPMLASHED A WHOLEIN ALL FOAR TAAARRS!! MAAAAAYBE NESS TIME HE THINNGGG BEFORAR HE CHEEEESSS~~~~!!"

"Love The Way You Lie" by Riahhanaha and Eminem is another cringey song and it was also popular among the same demographic around the same time. However, less so for Karaoke because probably they couldn't get someone to rap the Eminem part. I just watched the video and that makes it more hilarious because it's like...Eminem's yelling in a random field while a girl in a beater, hunting boots, and jorts gets her shit kicked in by some dude with a DIY buzzcut and crappy tattoos in some dumpy house with paneling, and then they get drunk. I knew too many people who were exactly that. "Yeeeeea, Jim's drunk again, punched a hole in the wall. Ashley said he hit her and now she's saying he didn't. Ope- sounds like he's out revving his Mustang he can't drive cause he got a DUI...aaaaand now he's driving it around the patch. I hope the cops get him." Unfortunately, instead of seeing it as a commentary on the borderline woman/antisocial man relationship dynamic, too many people see it as validation for how they live.


I just remembered, probably because it was around the same time, the "band" KARMIN. It was this chick and her husband. I only know two songs by them, both annoying. The most annoying of which was "Acapella". Contrary to the title, it was not in fact acapella.

Also there's this part that totally isn't ear rape:


Their other hit was also annoying ear rape


The odd thing is that they "reinvented" themselves as Qveen Herbie and her husband is the producer and I find the result intensely likable.

I wouldn't say it's good hip-hop, but it's not terrible either compared to what else is on the radio. However, her new persona is entirely wholesome and unproblematic:
- she's still with her husband and they're produce the songs
- she satirizes influencers and gold diggers
- she made a song about self-care ("working out, sleeping in, taking vitamins")
- I'm personally flattered that she's trying to look like a Diego
- she has songs glorifying monogamy/married sex
- she calls out the music industry for their shadiness

(removed videos...you can literally look on YouTube if you want to listen)
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
Taylor Swift ft. Brandon Urie - "Me!"
Breakup songs trend toxic for me, because the attitude tends to be "Good luck trying to replace me!". That's literally the point. That's why the relationship didn't work out, you fucking dense idiot. Taylor Swift has leaned into her malignant narcissist aesthetic with "Look What You Made Me Do" and these breakup songs that read like fake Marilyn Monroe quotes. Those kinds of songs are kind of appropriate coming from young people who are, naturally, going to be using trial and error to find a partner and be naturally a bit emotionally immature, so it's not as off-putting. But someone 30+ singing about their breakup drama is just sad. We gotta normalize that breakups are GOOD.

Katy Perry - "Dark Horse"
This song is dumb. "dark horse" doesn't even make sense in that context. I guess she might be trying to say she's a femme fatale but to some extent, that's like saying "LOOK EVERYBODY, I'M A TOXIC PERSON!" Saying "pale horse" would probably be more accurate if that is the goal. Also, Jucy J's verse is so boring it's like he didn't even want to be in the song.

AJR - "Out With a Bang"
I was going to say "THIS IS A CONTENT-FREE SONG!!! IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF STEAMPUNK NECKBEARD FUCKERY!!!!" but I looked at the lyrics and...this is a song about committing suicide. I stand corrected...It's music for teenagers with edgy fursonas, who are obsessed with FNAF and want to look like this:
8854

Now, for some old and alt music, because pop is very low-hanging fruit.

Dimmu Borgir - "Over Bleknede Blaner Til Dommedag"
I'm not enraged by it, it's just...awkward.
I can't cum to this. Nobody can cum to this.

AC/DC
Their hits are their hits for a reason (ex."Hell's Bells", "Shook Me All Night Long") because the rest of their shit's kind of weird and annoying. "Thunderstruck" is a hit and also annoying. THUN! DER! UAGH AUGH AUGH AHGH AGGGGGHGHHH
I can appreciate that it was innovative for the time, but don't make me listen to it or insist AC/DC is the greatest band in the world ever, for all times, period.

"Corsetmetal"
I don't like Epica, Nightwish, etc. The vocalists are good, I guess, it's just like...if I want to listen to opera, I'll just listen to opera, not an operatic soprano singing against unremarkable metal. This pertains to male vocalists as well but most of them fall into the next category.

Very overtly themed metal
This would be stuff like Powerwolf, some Amon Amarth, Abney Park, Alestorm, Finntroll, etc. I don't hate it, it's just not where I am with my life right now. I listened to things like that when I was a young teenager and that was honestly more appropriate than bands that made songs about raping teenage nuns, committing suicide, necrophilia, and using a chainsaw as a dildo.
No lie, though, I will chimp out (troll out?) to "Trollhammeren" and materialize a beer in my hand through pure force of troll magic
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
I've always wanted to shop at Finntroll's grocery store, but I can never find a location :sneaky: But yeah, that sort of metal is the reason Metalocalypse was a funny show. You could call it a guilty pleasure. I do listen to Amon Amarth sometimes, particularly the later albums that have better production values. Their old stuff is too scratchy for my delicate ears (although the song they had about raping nuns was a fun novelty when I first heard it). At some point he went from singing "WRAAH WRAAH WRAAAAA" to singing "ROOH ROOH ROOOOOO". It's like switching from a rice rocket to a Harley.

Viking metal is a bit like the show Vikings: they think they're being edgy massacring monks in a monastery, but they don't dare massacre muslims in a mosque. So... not very edgy at all...

But I still liked the show, or at least the first 3.5 seasons. It got a little weird and incoherent after they sacked Paris.

Corsetmetal, heh, I hadn't heard that term before but it nicely describes that style of pretty goth chick singer with a bunch of nobodies backing her up, like they were her loser friends in high school who kept hanging around her hoping to score with her, and along the way they learned how to play instruments.

AC/DC yeah, I like their hits, I don't bother with the rest. I don't mind Thunderstruck. But I don't play their stuff often. It has its place, just like the 2pac CD I have... Some days I want to pretend I'm a G and hear a song full of F-bombs and N-bombs talking about killing people and having sex with Biggie's wife (not in those words). Some days I want to pretend I'm 14 and listen to some guy screeching crude sexual innuendos to explosive guitar riffs. Some days I want to pretend I'm a viking and go on a mystical quest to Asgard to slay ice giants and rape nuns.

...I generally keep the windows rolled up when I play those types of songs (just like the guy in Office Space)...
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
> pretty goth chick singer with a bunch of nobodies backing her up, like they were her loser friends in high school who kept hanging around her hoping to score with her, and along the way they learned how to play instruments.

Orbiter metal

8855

"You know you can photoshop out those random vagrants...?"

"That's the band"

"Well why fuckin' bother then, god..."


Arch Enemy has become the "death metal band with the GRRRRRRRL vocalist" gimmick despite all their vocalists until Angela Gossow being dudes. Alyssa White-Gluz seems to lean into the wokeness, as a vegan feminist grrrrl, whereas Gossow used to be somewhat subdued about it. To be fair, signed bands may not make these choices on their own, but may have their label telling them what to do because of how marketable women are for some reason.

We've gone from "Women don't belong in metal", to women being in metal like anyone else, to bands going out of their way trying to be "female fronted". Think of it this way: If you're an average, unsigned band, you may not be able to play Ultra Band Wank Drunky Metal Fest because you're not popular enough, but you're practically guaranteed to play Women in Metal Grrrrrl Female-Fronted Pussy Power Fest because there are simply fewer women than men who want to be in metal bands in the first place, and a lot of them are vocalists. It's a numbers game. On the same token, if you want to get into a band really fast, it takes less time to learn to growl than it does to learn an instrument well. Anyone who doesn't believe me: try to organize a single-genre, local show of bands that only have female drummers. It's gonna probably be one woman but she's in 3 bands.

In the end, it sort of makes things worse for female musicians. They get stereotyped as, basically, "affirmative-action hires" because there is a section of people who do treat it like that and a section of women who are totally okay with it because it benefits them. Women are protected from a lot of criticism, in ways. If you say Moonspell is better than Lacuna Coil, or you can't stand Arch Enemy, there will be some people who jump to conclusions, like "YOUUUUU JUST DON'T LIKE WOMEN!!!" Not every reviewer is a simp, but there are simp reviewers who quite clearly are not appraising the band accurately and will wax poetic about the woman's vocals in a way that nobody would about a man.

"SO-AND-SO'S VOCALS SOUND LIKE THE INFERNAL DEMONIC ROARS FROM AN IRON-CLAD SUCCUBUS RISING FROM THE PITS OF HELL WITH MURDEROUS BLOODLUST AND EVOKE [names every notable vocalist ever], and also the riffs are good I guess."
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
...because of how marketable women are for some reason.
Heh. I wonder if there's a correlation between this marketing phenomenon and the number of incels in the world.

Corsetmetal
Orbiter metal

Thot metal?

We've gone from "Women don't belong in metal", to women being in metal like anyone else, to bands going out of their way trying to be "female fronted".
In other words, we've gone from metal being hard shit for hard men, to being a rock genre like any other, to being a money making operation that needs a hot chick to sell it. Like hiring a booth babe for your industry expo. So empowering.

there will be some people who jump to conclusions
This is the internet, after all.

- "Ghostbusters sucked"
- "YOU JUST DON'T LIKE WOMEN!"

- "The Last Jedi fucking sucked"
- "YOU JUST DON'T LIKE WOMEN! AND YOU PROBABLY ALSO SUPPORT TRUMP!"

- "Why is there a level 4 biolab in the city where the pandemic started?"
- "YOU JUST DON'T LIKE CHINESE PEOPLE!"

--------------

Changing the topic, I think I'll follow your example and list here some bands I used to listen to in the past but don't anymore:

Rob Zombie - A friend got me into this guy, and it was fun for a while when I was in my 20s and looking into different genres to see what I liked. The novelty of songs about corpsefucking serial killers wore off quickly, and I came to see it as just a gimmick. His movie House of 1,000 Corpses wasn't bad though, especially Sid Haig's character.

Avenged Sevenfold - I started listening to these guys after I saw them at a concert alongside Disturbed. I thought it sounded good at first (particularly their album Nightmare), but after a while I just got tired of their whole grand operatic/biblical style. It was just too much of a show.

Rage Against The Machine - Seemed like a suitable band to listen to while I was in college and hanging out with stoners. When I came back to this band later as an adult, all I could think about was how annoying the vocalist was, repeating the same lines over and over in his whiny voice. It's like that old joke: "What did the hippie say when the drugs wore off?" - "Man, this music sucks"

System of a Down - On the topic of music that sounds good when you're stoned... well I also liked how they did weird stuff with their songs that make you go "what the fuck how is this even a song?" But I can't see myself listening to them any more. My beard isn't long enough, my clothes don't stink enough of weed, and I have a day job.

Deep Purple - I picked up on these guys after hearing some of their stuff on the radio. As much fun as it is to rip down the highway listening to Highway Star and imagine I'm playing some kind of arcade racing game with all the bleeps and bloops... and as nice as Smoke on the Water and Hush are, I just haven't felt the desire to pop in that CD in years.

Sean Paul - He had that hit song, Temperature, and for a while it made wiggers out of many of us. But I just can't get into reggae or rap or hip-hop now. It just feels unnatural, like I'm just trying to LARP as a Jamaican if I do. Bob Marley is an exception, though. Everybody loves Bob. Maybe the difference is that Bob Marley sang about universal things like love and self-determination, while Sean Paul just sang about dancing with girls and fucking them later (and we didn't have Michael Bolton to hijack it with a hook about Captain Jack Sparrow).

90s pop music - When I was in school everyone was always asking, "What kind of music do you listen to?", and I didn't really care about music so I didn't know what to tell them. I usually said something vague like, "Anything except country", or, "Anything except rap". Tired of people thinking I was weird for not liking music, I started listening to the radio to find out what the songs were that other people liked so I could pretend to also like them and then I'd have something in common with normal people. Looking back now, I can sort of draw a split down the middle, where some of those old hits I still think highly of (like Oasis - Wonderwall), and other songs I cringe at the thought of (like Prozak - Sucks To Be You). I guess that's the difference between pop songs that succeed on merit and pop songs that are just played a bunch of times until people pretend to like them. It takes 20 years before you can tell them apart.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
> Thot metal?

Butcher Babies

Two-vocalist bands can fuck off. One vocalist is bad enough, why do they want two?

"Well, one sings and one growls."

Can you not find a singular vocalist who does both? Can one of the guitarists, do backups?

It gives off "Someone wanted their non-musician gf/bf/bro to be in the band REEEEEALLY bad" vibes.

Dudes get roasted for this kind of thing - "What do they do during the guitar solos, hold each other's wieners?" - but I suppose the homoeroticism is the appeal for simps and coomers when there are two female vocalists.


> In other words, we've gone from metal being hard shit for hard men, to being a rock genre like any other, to being a money making operation that needs a hot chick to sell it. Like hiring a booth babe for your industry expo. So empowering.

I have mixed thoughts about the arbitrary boy's club.

I think we should judge people by the grooviness of their riffs, not the type of genitals they have.

However, the simping and the thottery does nothing but dilute various hobbies like music, gaming, politics, etc. It prevents equality from happening because of a cycle where men simp for women for the smallest bit of talent or effort, thots move in because they can get attention, then the rest of the community starts assuming all women are overhyped, so women who want to be taken seriously have more bias to overcome. Feedback is less trustworthy because it's hard to tell if praise or criticism is coming from a simp or the "thot patrol" who is automatically negative about anything involving a woman, instead of just an honest opinion.

Perhaps it's not a matter of it being a boy's club, genital-wise, but a no-bullshit club, and no-bullshit is typically seen as a masculine stance.


> On the topic of music that sounds good when you're stoned... well I also liked how they did weird stuff with their songs that make you go "what the fuck how is this even a song?"

System of a Down was my first favorite "heavy" band, and more interesting musically than other rival nu-metal. They're leftoids (except the drummer, apparently now) but for the most part, they were the based kind of leftoids -- anti-war, anti-cop, anti-government, anti-corporation, anti-authority, anti-censorship. I'm not sure if Serj and the others went totally woke and corporatist.


> Rage Against The Machine

FUCK YOU! GOTTA DO WHAT THE TOLD YOU!
FUCK YOU! GOTTA DO WHAT THE TOLD YOU!


The Ramones
They always seemed overrated to me. I remember feeling like the only person in my school who didn't have a The Ramones shirt. Never understood why they were so popular. Maybe it was just the most accessible shirt for a small-town teenager in 2005 who wanted a punk band shirt.

Bauhaus
This is probably the most controversial goth music opinion ever, but "BELA LUGOSI'S DEAD" IS OVERRATED and I can't say I'm a huge Bauhaus fan at all. I guess it's a vibe, or something. Maybe I just don't "get it" because I didn't hear it while dancing in a goth club in the 80s. Maybe I was accustomed to hearing industrial and stuff like Collide, Bella Morte, or NIN at a goth club. I heard it on the fuckin internet, in my pajamas, with the lights on and that's not the same thing. I don't have any surreal and pleasant olfactory, visual, and kinetic memories associated with it.

iwrestledabearonce
I'm not into screamo, in general (except a few songs from Poison The Well), but this band was really popular at a point and they and their aesthetic are emblematic of the late 00s-into-10s rAWr *~s0~* rand0m xd aesthetic.

OTEP
The music is fine. She's just an obnoxious SJW. I do not require the musicians I listen to to have the same opinions as me, but god fucking damn some of them are too far out of pocket and too outspoken.

Korn
I like "Got The Life" but always found them too wahngsty. Too many weird noises and dissonance. I've felt like a lot of things, but never really a "freak on a leash".

Amanda Palmer
I was really into her music and The Dresden Dolls because of a sort of "YESSS SOMEONE ACTUALLY DESCRIBED HOW I'M FEELING AND COULDN'T ARTICULATE MYSELF". Sometimes music takes you back to a point, mentally, that's like when you listened to it. I do not want to return to the place I was when I was listening to her music a lot. It's taken me so far, and I have to go further.
 
Last edited:

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
However, the simping and the thottery does nothing but dilute various hobbies like music, gaming, politics, etc. It prevents equality from happening because of a cycle where...
I think you've stumbled upon a fundamental pattern of feminism waxing and waning like the rise and fall of civilizations. In short: simps and thots ruin everything. And I would add the precondition for simpthottery is a surplus of single males brought on by a culture shift from monogamy to polygyny that happens when a civilization reaches its resource limits, stops growing, and becomes decadent. Because monogamy is the most efficient way to grow a population, but polygyny is the default we revert to in a time of decline.


Two-vocalist bands can fuck off.
That song you linked was sounding good until they started singing. If they put the first 2 minutes on a loop, I'd be cool with having something like that playing in the background while I'm doing stuff. Although your joke about the guitar solo got me thinking. If the video were to have those two girls just lezz out during the solo--softcore stuff, like just making out, maybe even catfighting and tearing each other's shirts off--I think that would make it worth listening to them caterwaul. And then they can save the hardcore stuff for live shows. Yeah, that would rake in a lot of money I bet.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
I’d go so far as to say they’re “FINOs” though — feminists in name only. If you put these people back in medieval China, they’d be trying to argue for how lotus feet are empowering.

The first wave of feminism was influenced by Plato’s idea that men and women are basically similar except in physical strength, and can be equal if women are raised/taught in a way like men with discipline, mastery, responsibility, autonomy, etc. What is feminism now is not that and calling it “feminism” or implying it’s about equality is ultimately false. I don’t care what the public consensus is or if only I think this.

There’s nothing feminist, by the traditional definition, about being propped up by simps, being held to lower standards for excellence, and being spared from fair criticism.

I used to identify as an anti-feminist but i also disagree (vehemently) with the trad way of keeping women dumb and weak while protecting them and putting them on pedestals, essentiall. It goes against libertarian values. It’s basically politely raising slaves. Politely raised slaves, however, aren’t equipped to have power in the world. Women aren’t the problem, the fact society doesn’t impose equal responsibility for equal rights is the problem.
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
It sounds like we're both liberals, in the Enlightenment sense, and that feminism is just a confusing label that leads to a whole sideshow that's not really relevant, when the main issue at hand is responsibility and self-determination (or autonomy, mastery, and purpose, however you want to frame it). I agree, everyone should have those things and to raise someone in a way that denies it to them is to do them a disservice.

Plato was wrong about a lot of things, though. I'd add that besides the strength difference (and the biochemical differences discovered later by science), the key thing that's missing is the game theory. Different opportunities present themselves to men and women based on their role in reproduction, and that's where the niche appears for simps and thots to bind together in a dance of destruction (Just realized that rhymes, I should turn it into a lyric).



(don't be mad at the whore of babylon, be mad at the simps who paid for her fine jewelry, and the multi-headed Beast that supports the whole crass enterprise)

If I were to meme this image, I could easily imagine someone like Katy Perry in that exact same pose (maybe because she rode a giant mechanical tiger at the Superbowl), and the Beast she's riding is labeled "Music Industry".
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
> Different opportunities present themselves to men and women based on their role in reproduction, and that's where the niche appears for simps and thots to bind together in a dance of destruction (Just realized that rhymes, I should turn it into a lyric).

While I definitely agree there's inevitably some factor of innateness in some of this behavior, society plays a huge role. The "masculinity crisis" is widely blamed on single mothers, feminizing school system, and lack of good male role models. It affects the whole culture, however while society is imposing a feminine upbringing on males, it's seen, for some reason, as males being unnaturally feminized by society. However, females who haven't experienced anything except for the social construct that teaches them how to perform femininity are seen as simply acting out their nature independent of social conditioning. That is despite cultural variations that show a less...bizarre relationship between women, and men and their culture.
 

humon

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2019
Location
Canada
We're all being treated like gray goo--interchangeable cogs in a global machine--just we're seeing differences in how some of it thrashes about, blaming one thing or another in their attempt to identify the culprit. Divide and conquer, right?

As a thought experiment, if I owned a chicken farm, and half of the chickens I had were actually roosters... I would probably want to find a way to make the roosters act like chickens. Otherwise I'd have to kill them off to stop them from fighting each other. Actually I would just kill them off straight up. Why the fuck hasn't the world government done this yet? Probably worried about the backlash. Last time someone tried that, it started a world war.

Okay, new model: Nobody really knows wtf is going on, and we're just churning in a vat of... orange goo? I don't know. Maybe that's why people kept burning Wendy's last summer. Orange goo gonna do what orange goo gonna do.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
> Divide and conquer, right?

The man-hating and woman-hating are stupid. Stupid people do stupid things, and reasonable people aren't responsible for the actions of toxic and abusive people.

"YOU deserve less because a man/woman you don't know and have no influence over raped someone/stuck a guy they cheated on with child support!" I personally know of people who have done shit like that, and they're not the sharpest tools in the shed.

It's a sex war, to go along with the race war, to distract from the class war.


> As a thought experiment, if I owned a chicken farm, and half of the chickens I had were actually roosters...[etc.]

I would expect an animal with a brain the size of a thumb nail, and never evolved the ability to both adapt to practically any environment, and change their environment, thousands of years ago, to operate exclusively off evo psych logic.

Humans have relatively low sexual dimorphism compared to all other species. We have a lot of overlap at the averages.


>Okay, new model: Nobody really knows wtf is going on, and we're just churning in a vat of... orange goo?

8873

I don't know what "orange goo" means but I thought of LCL.

It sucks because everything idpol has infected every aspect of society. People act based on idpol and practically all discourse relates to idpol. We're not individuals anymore. You're just your sex, gender, and sexuality, and nobody cares what the reality of the situation is, you're simply getting treated how people label you, not how you actually are.
 
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Location
United States
“Level of Concern” by 21 Pilots
It was released apparently on April 9th of 2020. I don’t know how long it takes for a pop song like this to go from a being a brain fart to being ready for release, but it just seemed suspiciously soon. Like how that one Toby Keith song was released suspiciously soon after 9/11 that some people theorized that it was already written at the time the event occurred.

Also the world needs an unironic song about COVID like a snake needs an ashtray filled with Werther’s candies.
 
Top Bottom